My name is Rachel Anne Williams; welcome to my blog! I am an author, writer, blogger, philosopher, and Tarot nerd.
My approach to the Tarot is extremely eclectic.
I am inspired by many different systems, worldviews, traditions, and methodologies.
I find myself drawing from Gnosticism, the Western Esoteric Tradition, chaos magic, Christianity, Norse Paganism, witchcraft, Thelema, Taoism, Satanism, Jungian psychology, Atheism, Agnosticism, idealism, materialism, American pragmatism, the Western traditions of both analytic and continental philosophy, science, cognitive science, and what seems like an endless web of concepts.
I am also keen on history, anthropology, evolutionary psychology, neuroscience, and all the humanities and “human sciences,” broadly construed.
When I was in grad school for philosophy my academic specialty was consciousness studies, phenomenology, and the philosophy of cognitive science and that informs my approach to the Tarot.
My undergraduate degree is in Interdisciplinary Studies and that’s essentially how I still see myself: an interdisciplinary, independent scholar who aims to synthesize diverse areas of thought and experience and render them into plain English.
However, despite my interest in a broad range of subjects, I always find myself coming back to the Tarot.
For me, the Tarot functions as a central hub in a vast network of ideas and interests. All of my interests feed into this hub and, in turn, it influences and shapes my approach to other disciplines.
I am of the opinion that to truly master the Tarot you cannot just read books about the Tarot. You have to read books about humanity. To study the Tarot is to study human existence itself.
One might say it’s impossible to make all these different systems cohere into a single, logical system. And that’s true. But here I can only quote Walt Whitman’s poem, Song of Myself:
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Other facts about me:
- I currently work in the tech industry as a product manager to pay my bills
- I live in St. Louis City, USA
- I am a published author (Transgressive)
- I am nonbinary and my pronouns are she/her
- I am an INTJ (and yes, I’m aware that MBTI is not “valid” as a personality metric; I still like it and find INTJ to be fairly accurate)
- I am an Aquarius Sun, Gemini Rising, and Leo Moon (I don’t put a lot of stock into astrology but I fit the “Aquarius” stereotype to a t)
- Some of my hobbies include music (I am learning piano and ukulele), chess, reading, permaculture, and photography
- I am a bibliophile
- I am queer, poly and have a wonderful nesting partner
- I have a Master’s Degree in Philosophy and dropped out of a philosophy PhD program in my sixth year to pursue other interests.
rachelannewilliams13 [at] gmail [dot] com
My Twitter page: @rach_a_williams